When talking about sports betting online in India, the first sport that comes to mind is, of course, Indian cricket. Cricket and cricket betting is a global phenomenon that is a big part of the country’s sports and culture.
Besides cricket’s undisputed place in the hearts and souls of Indian sports fans, football has been growing rapidly in India in recent years. Along with the Indian national football team and the Indian Super League (ISL), online football betting has been multiplying and becoming popular amongst Indian punters.
This guide will cover football betting markets, ISL betting sites, and everything you need to know about football betting in India.
Football in India
Before diving into football betting, let’s start with some history of the beautiful game in India. Football made its official arrival to India in the 19th century, with the Durand Cup, the first nationwide football tournament held in 1888. For nearly a century, most Indian football clubs played in state leagues or nationwide tournaments until the National Football League was formed in 1996. In 2006 the country’s governing body for the sport, the All India Football Federation, formed the I-League, followed by the ISL that was launched in 2013.
History of Football in India
Football was introduced to India by the British soldiers back in the 19th century and was primarily a game played between the army teams. However, in 1877, football player Nagendra Prasad Sarbadhikari mobilized his classmates at the Hare School, Calcutta to playing the game, thus spreading the allure of the game of football to the masses. Although it plays a second fiddle to cricket, football is very popular In Goa, Kerala, West Bengal, and the North-Eastern states.
The first football club to be established in India was the Calcutta Football Club in 1972 and the Indian Football Association was founded in 1893. Notably, none of the board members were Indians.
The Durand Cup was first held in Shimla in 1888 as a recreational for the British troops stationed there and remains the third oldest football competition in the world.
The coming into existence of many more clubs, lead to the commencement of many tournaments. In 1911 an Indian team beat the British to win their first-ever tournament giving an enormous impetus to the growth of the game for Indian players.
ISL Football Betting
If you are looking to bet on the ISL, you need to know a few details:
- You can currently bet on 11 clubs competing in the ISL
- Sponsored by Hero MotoCorp, its official name is Hero Indian Super League
- Each football ISL betting season runs from November to March
- During the regular season, each ISL club plays all others in a round-robin style
- The club that ends the season with the most points wins the League Winners’ Shield
- You can then bet on the four top clubs make it to the playoffs
- The playoffs’ final winner is the ISL Champion, which is presented with the ISL Trophy
- Many international sportsbooks offer ISL betting online. So you can place your bets safely and securely.
- You can read the Dafabet casino review and check out their briliant sportsbook
The league matches are played between clubs and some of the most popular clubs in India are the:
- Bengaluru Fc
- Mohun Bagan
- East Bengal
- Fc Goa
- Kerala Blasters
The popular clubs from around the world to bet on are:
- Real Madrid
- Manchester United
- Bayern Munich
More Football Betting Markets
Once you get into online football betting, you don’t have to limit your wagers to ISL betting online. Most international football betting sites that welcome Indian punters also offer football betting on the English Premier League, German Bundesliga, Spanish La Liga, and more. And what’s great is that the best online betting sites in India also offer live betting. So when you ask yourself where to go online for live steam football, refer to our recommended online bookies.
Football Betting Events
Many football fans are fascinated by football betting because of so much action happening within 90 minutes of the match. With so many different possibilities and events, you can bet on one or several events within one match. Here are a few football events you can bet online:
- The first team to score
- Both teams to score
- The first player to score
- Total goals per match
- Total goals per team
- Match winner
- Exact score
- Goals during each half
- Players to score
- Corner kicks
- Shots on target
- Man of the match
And many other events can be wagered on as a single or combined bet (accumulator/parlay). Fun88 and Betway Sports have one of the best accumulators for you to bet on football matches.
Types of Football Bets Available to Indian Punters
So, how do you bet in the Premier League, ISL or any other football league for that matter? Before you start betting on football, it is essential to familiarize yourself with the types of bets you will encounter. There are many types available for Indian football punters. Below are a few of the popular ones:
- Single Bets: As the name states, these bets are placed on one event. These are considered the safest option, so they are recommended for beginner football bettors.
- Accumulator Bets: Also known as Parlay bets, these popular bets are one wager that combines three or more single bet selections. All selections must be predicted right for an Accumulator bet to win. In which case, the odds are multiplied for significant wins.
- In-Play Bets: Also known as live bets, these are bets that Indian punters can place during the football match. Besides being very exciting, the big plus of these bets is that you can make more informed betting decisions during the match.
- System Bets: Like an Accumulator bet, this type of bet is made a few betting segments, but it doesn’t require all segments to win for the total wager to win.
Many different bets can be placed on a football match. But first, before placing a bet, it’s best to understand what odds mean and how they apply to the betting. Odds determine the chances of an outcome and they help you determine your potential wins.
The odds are set by the bookmakers and represented by either a decimal or fraction. The odds are a ratio between the stake placed by a person and wins on the outcome. Whoever has higher odds, will have more chances at winning and those with lesser odds have lesser chances at winning. However, Higher odds also mean less profit in wins.
- Fraction Odds: In the given odds of 7/4 or seven to four, 7 tells us the times at which the bookmaker expects the odds to fail and 4 tells us the times at which the odds will win. It also can mean that out of 11 chances, it will win 7 times giving it a probability of 63.6 % chance of winning. So, if for the given odds if you have placed a bet of ₹500, your wins will be (500*7) / 4 = ₹875
- Decimal Odds: The decimal odds are easier to understand and work with. Identifying your payout with decimal odds is straightforward. You have to simply multiply your wager by the odds. To calculate the profit, subtract the original wager from the payout. If the given odds are 3.5 and you have placed a bet of ₹1000, then your winnings are calculated as (1000*3.5) – 1000 = 3500-1000 = ₹2500
What is the Best Football Betting Site?
Different football betting sites offer Indian players different odds, betting markets, events, and more. All of our recommended football betting sites have been tested thoroughly by our betting experts. Read our reviews and sign up for India’s football betting site that is best for you. And while at it, don’t forget to claim a generous bonus!
Here are some of the best football betting sites in India:
10Cric: whether you want to place a bet on Indian Super League or an international league matche, 10Cric guarantees a line-up of matches and a variety of bets that can be placed. 10Cric also offers Live betting for football matches.
Comeon: Comeon has developed a detailed sportsbook with a great range of exciting features for betting on football. It covers a host of Asian matches and you can choose from a wide variety of bets that can be placed.
22bet: 22bet is an incredible betting site for football punters because of their comprehensive sportsbook featuring football leagues and tournaments they also offer a variety of bets to be placed for each different match. Bets can be placed on which team will win the match, to what players will score, number of goals will be scored, and lots of more
Betway: An in-depth sportsbook featuring football, and some of the most competitive odds on the matches, Betway is an expert on when it comes to football betting. Betway also has an in-play betting service that lets you place bets as the matches are ongoing which is very exciting.
After making the best out of the online bonuses make to leave a comment on the site, you can reach out to us to undertand the odds and the working of online casions a bit better. With the 2021 Euros coming up make sure that you have enough practice that you will be able to make smart bets. We also advice to read each of the sports book reviews to understand their offers in deatil.
Hi guys, I am Faizan, an online casino game enthusiast with over 5+ years of experience. I am passionate about online casino games, and my sole motive is to provide you with all the trustful information regarding online gambling in India. I love to play slots, RNG, and Live Casino games.
My articles have been featured in Cricket Addictor, East Mojo, 1883 and The Bridge.